Altera Cyclone V SoC Development Kit
- Board, power supply, cables, reference design
- Comes with the full SoC Embedded Design Suite
- Uses Quartus II Web Edition design software
- Integrated HPS lets the user reduce system power, system cost, and board space:
- Consists of processors, peripherals, and memory controller
- Performance and ecosystem of an applications-class ARM® processor combined with the flexibility, low cost, and low power consumption of the Cyclone V FPGAs
Altera Cyclone V SoC Development Board Block Diagram
Altera SoC Virtual Target
Altera offers the SoC Virtual Target, a virtual prototyping platform to enable pre-silicon and post-silicon software development. The Altera SoC Virtual Target is a fast functional simulation of a dual-core ARM® Cortex™-A9 MPCore™ embedded processor development system. This complete prototyping tool, which models a real development board, runs on a PC and boots the Linux operating system out of the box. Designed to be binary- and register-compatible with the real hardware that it simulates, the Virtual Target enables the development of device-specific, production software that can run unmodified on real hardware.
Virtual prototyping tools are preferred for software development because of their added level of full-system visibility and control. Using a virtual prototyping tool, the user can jump start software development well in advance of hardware availability, make their software team more productive, and improve software quality.
To fully represent Altera's SoC devices, the Virtual Target also features an FPGA extension to the PC-based simulation called FPGA-in-the-loop. FPGA-in-the-loop allows the Virtual Target to interface to an Altera off-the-shelf FPGA development board, where the user can implement custom intellectual property (IP) and co-execute it with the other components of the Virtual Target that runs on the PC. This allows testing of software with FPGA hardware such as custom peripherals and hardware accelerators.
Virtual Target with Optional FPGA-in-the-Loop
Features & Benefits
- Proven technology – Virtual prototyping tools are industry-proven solutions that enable pre-silicon software development and shorten time to market. Many successful semiconductor companies, including Altera, are using virtual prototyping tools based on the Synopsys Innovator Platform.
- Ready to use – The Virtual Target is a pre-built, fully functional simulation model of a complete embedded system that runs out of the box. You need no prior modeling or simulation experience. The Virtual Target works with your existing software tools, such as GDB, TRACE32 from Lauterbach and DS-5 from ARM, and Wind River Workbench.
- Device specific – The code written for the Virtual Target is binary- and register-compatible with the modeled board and can run on both platforms without modification.
- Linux enabled – The Virtual Target comes with a Linux boot image and drivers to support all the major components of the system.
- Fast simulation speed – The Virtual Target is a fast functional simulation that can boot Linux in 20 seconds.
- Full system visibility and control – The Virtual Target allows you to perform tasks that are difficult or impossible on real hardware.